He Reigns!

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Whatever You Ask

"Whatever you ask in My name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it."
~John 14:13-14

I believe pray is the most important part of Christian life. It's how we communicate with our heavenly Father. But I have to confess, I'm not very good at it. In fact, I dread being called upon at church to open or close in prayer. My pastor and his wife are world class pray-ers. At Wednesday night prayer group, these two are tag team prayer warriors that carry us through the hour of prayer time. At home, I pray a lot, or at least, I have conversations with God but like a lot of people, I wonder if I'm really being heard, and doubt I pray fervent or effectual prayers (James 5:16).

"Therefore, my friends, since we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus,  by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain (that is, through His flesh), and since we have a great Priest over the house of God,  let us approach with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water (Hebrews 10:19-22)."

Prior to the death and resurrection of Christ, only the high priest could enter the Holy of hoiles and approach the Mercy Seat of God. But when Christ was resurrected and ascended into Heaven, we were granted direct access through Him. His death upon the Cross changed everything. We were no longer required to make sacrifices because Christ is the ultimate sacrifice. We no longer have to have a priest sprinkle blood on the Mercy Seat because Christ's blood was shed once for all (Hebrews 9:12). Christ became the only High Priest we ever need, giving us complete access to Heaven.

Prayer is meant to be heartfelt communication with God for the purpose of glorifying God. God is glorified when our prayers are answered, and when we ask in the Name of Jesus, it moves God to act. That doesn't mean we can go to God like a kid with a quarter to stick into the candy machine. Our prayers must also line up with the will of God. Does that mean asking for financial increase, a new home or car is wrong? Absolutely not. More finances mean we can contribute more to our church, missions, and help for the needy. A new home, or better home might mean a safer neighborhood, being warmer in the winter, or room for everyone in the family. A new car means reliable transportation for work, doctor appointments and getting to church on time.  It's our motivation behind our prayers that matters (James 4:3).

"And this is the confidence that we have toward Him, that if we ask anything according to His will He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of Him (1 John 5:14-15)."

Read 1 Samuel 10-13

A Year of Blessings by Marie McGaha ©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!