He Reigns!

Friday, April 27, 2018

The Last Word

"He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!"
~Revelation 22:20

When I was younger, I thought this verse, and others about Jesus' return, wasn't all that important. After all, I'd heard all about the Rapture since I was a little kid, and my grandmother patiently awaited that moment when when the Lord would show up amid thunder, a shout and the blast of the Shofar. She believed the Lord would return in her lifetime. As I got older and had more understanding of the hope my grandmother had in Christ's return, I also began to have that same hope. Even the disciples believed Christ's Second Coming would occur in their lifetime. I suppose every generation since then has believed they would see the coming of the Lord. I know I certainly do. 


“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.  In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going (John 14:1-4)."

We don't have to know when the Lord will take us home, whether at His Second Coming or through our bodily death. What we have to know is that one way or the other, we will see Him again. We have to be ready no matter when we are called home. 


Jesus' last words, "I am coming soon," may occur in my lifetime, and what a wonderful event that will be to see first-hand. However, if He doesn't, is there any less hope in my heart? Of course not. My hope is not in an event, it is in the person of Jesus Christ who gave His life that I would have mine. That is the hope of Glory. One day, I will leave this body and all of it's aches and pains, and step from this life into eternal life with my one true hope, the Lord Himself. The last words Jesus said in this life will be forgotten as soon as I hear the first words He speaks to me in His kingdom: "Well done, good and faithful servant (Matthew 25:21)."


 "But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour (Matthew 25:6-13)."


Read 2 Samuel 6-8

Weekend reading 1 Chronicles 14-17

©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!