He Reigns!

Monday, April 9, 2018

The Highest Calling

"But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."
~Acts 20:24


For me, this is the highest calling a Christian can have. And it's what I pray for everyday. If I can live out my life in a way that glorifies Jesus Christ and is an example for others, then I will have finished the course set out for me. I don't always feel as if I'm being very successful in that area. Sometimes I feel as if I'm spinning my wheels and having no impact on the Kingdom of God at all. But Christian ministry is like that. You don't always see the results of your efforts.

"I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building (1 Corinthians 3:6-9)."


We each have our own place in God's plan. We are a team of people working for one purpose - to glorify God in all we do by sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ. No position is more important than another, whether pastor, teacher, evangelist, worship leader, the person who cleans the church, door greeter, or nursery attendant, everyone's job in the body of Christ serves another. Every position is important to God. It's not the job we have that makes a difference, it's how we do the job given us.


"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ (Colossians 3:23-24)."


"His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master' (Matthew 25:23)."


Serving the Lord is not a burden, it's a joy to be able, in some small way, to share His love and faithfulness.


In Matthew 25:14-30 is the parable of the talents. The master gave three of his servants money. To the first he gave five talents, to the second he gave two, and to the third he gave one. While he was gone, the first two invested the money and doubled it. The third hung on to it. When the master returned, he was happy with the first two but angry with the third.


God gives us "talents" as well. We might not see them as such but no matter what they are, they are important to God. Seeing talent in others can be easy. A singer, musician or artist has no problem using their talents but not all of us has such obvious talent. Some of us have to work at it. Even if you haven't discovered your particular niche, there's still opportunities to serve the Lord in every day life, in real world ways. Whether it's being faithful in attending church, paying tithes, volunteering at the local shelter, or cleaning church bathrooms, there is no unneeded person in the body of Christ.


Read Ruth 1-4


A Year of Blessings by Marie McGaha ©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!