He Reigns!

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

It's Not About The Money

"Someone in the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” But He said to him, “Man, who made Me a judge or arbitrator over you?” And He said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” 
~Luke 12:13-15

Like most working class Americans, we live paycheck to paycheck. The bills are paid, we don't want for anything but there's not much left over either. That is sometimes very frustrating considering the hours and effort put into earning those paychecks. It seems every time we might get a little bit ahead, something comes up and there goes the extra. On top of that, prices edge upward every day. The last time I filled up my truck's tank, gas was nineteen cents a gallon higher than the month before! But I remember when I was a kid and my parents complaining about the same things - not enough money and rising prices. However, the Bible tells us not to worry about those things because God takes care of His people.

"So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’  For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well (Matthew 6:31-33)."

We live in a world that worships excess and no matter how much people have, it's never enough. We see teens dealing drugs because wearing gold chains and driving big cars, and living the "thug life" is better than getting an education and earning a living. We see the rise and demise of Hollywood stars as they strive to be rich and famous. Television shows offer recording contracts to hopeful contestants who want to be the next big singing star. But how many 'one hit wonders' have we seen over the years who are here today and gone tomorrow?

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me (Philippians 4:11-13.)"

We all go through highs and lows in life and knowing that God is in control of every situation is how we get through each day. It isn't how much we earn, how big our bank accounts are, or the kind of car we drive that impresses God. It's our love for Him, for others, the condition and motives of our hearts that matter. 

We work to pay our bills and there's nothing wrong with living paycheck to paycheck. If we inherit a million bucks, there's nothing wrong with that either. It's how we live with what we have that matters. Go to church, study God's word, pay your tithes, serve God by serving others. Those things matter to God, and what matters to God is what should matter to us.

"The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies Me; to the one who orders his way rightly I will show the salvation of God (Psalm 50:23)!"

Read 1 Samuel 29-31; Psalm 69, 81, &131

©2018 www.mariemcgaha.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!