He Reigns!

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Feed Your Spirit

"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day."
~2 Corinthians 4:16

I am acutely aware every single morning that I'm not getting any younger. With every creak of my joints, every new ache and pain, I am reminded I am no longer young. Ever time I complain about the text on packaging getting smaller, or have to tell people to look at me when they speak so I can understand them, I am reminded that my outer self is wasting away. This old girl isn't what she used to be. However, while my body aches, my heart does not. My inner self, my spirit, is renewed and refreshed each day. 

"Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life (Proverbs 4:23)."

There is a native American story about two wolves that war within us. One is good and the other evil, and the one that wins is the one we feed the most. 

"Jesus then said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from Heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from Heaven. For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world' (John 6:32-33)."

Just as our bodies need food to stay alive, our spirit also needs food to thrive. What you feed yourself determines what you look like. Eat processed junk food and our bodies get fat, which affect our bodily functions and causes heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes etc. When we eat right the opposite occurs, and we are healthy. When we feed our spirit with things of the world instead of things of Christ, we lose heart, become angry, bitter, depressed or worse.

There is a war going on within us - a battle between the worldly and the heavenly, and the one we choose to feed will either bring eternal death or everlasting life.

"I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live,  loving the Lord your God, obeying His voice and holding fast to Him, for He is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them (Deuteronomy 30:19-20)."

Read 1 Samuel 6-9

A Year of Blessings by Marie McGaha ©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!