He Reigns!

Friday, October 19, 2018

Speak Sweet


“For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit, for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thorn bushes, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.”
~Luke 6:43-45

My husband and I have been married for nearly 20 years. We are each other’s best friend, and we know we are together until death parts us, and then we’ll spend eternity together in Heaven. We are still madly, passionately, stupidly in love and cannot conceive a life without the other. Still, we can get on each other’s nerves from time to time. He does stuff that just makes me wonder if there’s a kink in the genes no one told me about. And occasionally, I can upset him too. Yes, I’m making light of the ways I can torque his engine. But the one thing I try to remember, no matter what, is how much we love each other, and I try to never say things that I can’t take back. It’s not easy when tempers heat up to keep harsh words from coming out, but he and I certainly have a better handle on it now than in the early years of our marriage.

“Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear (Ephesians 4:29).”

When we get angry, it can be easy to speak hurtful words but when we do, we can destroy friendships, marriages, and any chance of reconciliation. Angry words tear down and can’t be taken back. Even if we apologize for the words we speak, they remain in the heart and mind of the one they’re directed to. And every additional word spoken in anger adds to the previous words and weighs heavily until it breaks. While we all get angry at times, it’s what we do while angry that can tear a relationship apart or we can bridle our tongues (James 1), even in anger, and show love and compassion. Being angry does not mean being hateful.

“Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Therefore, put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls (James 1:19-21).”

Read Acts 25-28; Weekend reading Romans 1-8

©2018 Marie McGaha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!