He Reigns!

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Barking Dogs


Repay no one evil for evil but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
~Romans 12:17-18

When I moved to Idaho to help my daughter with her children, I lived with her family and later, got a house near them. I have never liked living in town and it’s been an adjustment having moved from our little farm on 400 acres. My dogs like it even less than I do. They have been able to run, go swimming, and hunt rabbits and deer all their lives. Now, they are inside most of the time and when they go out, it’s to a tiny yard. They aren’t used to the noise, the cars, the kids screaming as they ride their bikes, or other dogs barking in the distance. Frankly, neither am I.

Yesterday, however, was the topper—someone called the cops because my dogs were barking while I was gone, and the Chief of Police came out to chat. I’m sure he had better things to do than talk to me about barking dogs but at least he was nice. Of course, he didn’t tell me who called but I have an idea. Everything in me wants to go knock on a door and ask but I’m an adult, and it wasn’t really a big deal in the light of day. What bothers me most is that they could have waited until I was home and came to talk to me. That’s how we handle things back home.

“Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled (Hebrews 12:14-15).”

It’s not easy to live with humans, especially when we are forced to live in such close proximity that we can hear everything they do. We know when they go to work, when they get home, what time they cook dinner, and everything else that goes on. Humans are noisy, messy, busybodies that can’t walk to the mailbox without checking out other houses on the way. Trying to live peaceably among other people is something we have yet to achieve, but it is something we are instructed to do. I have had to exercise a lot of patience since moving to Idaho. The things I’m not used to, like people, traffic, lawnmowers and weed eaters running from morning to night, make me want to run back home. Instead, I have adopted a practice of telling myself, “Practice patience, practice patience, practice patience,” as many times as necessary until I’m either calm or start laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation. Because we all know that hot tempers cause arguments, but patience brings peace (Proverbs 15:18).

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.  And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another (Galatians 5:22-26).”

Read 2 Chronicles 31-36

©2018 Marie McGaha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!