He Reigns!

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Delight In the Law of the Lord

“Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night (Psalm 1:1-2).”

This Psalm continues to tell us that if we obey verses one and two, we will be like a “tree, planted by rivers of water,” and we will “bring forth fruit.” What is this fruit? It is what comes from being obedient to the Word of God. It brings about love, joy, peace, faith, kindness, patience, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). These are the attributes of Jesus, and we are to strive to be like Him, whoever says he abides in Him ought to walk in the same way in which He walked (1 John 2:6).” Our first priority then is to pray that we become more like Jesus, with the same attributes, and to keep His commandments.

Psalm 4 is a prayer for safety of the faithful. When praying Scripture, pick one or two verses that speak to you, and pray them back to God.
“There are many who say, “Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!”  You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety (Psalm 4:6-8).”

In these verses we see the following truths:

1)   The Lord will show us good and not harm
2)   The Lord’s face is light that shines upon us
3)   The Lord puts joy in our hearts
4)   The Lord gives us peace
5)   The Lord provides our safety

Praying this Scripture might go like this:
“Heavenly Father, I thank You for Your Word and promises to show me good and not harm. I pray you will shine the light of Your face upon me, and put joy in my heart. Thank You for Your peace in my life, and for providing safety for me and my family. In Jesus’ Name I pray. Amen.”

Prayers don’t have to be long and involved, especially when we first begin praying Scripture. Short prayers are just as effective as long, drawn out ones. Being repetitious and droning on in our prayers doesn’t impress God. It is the fervent prayers of a righteous man that availeth much (James 5:16).


From "Keys To The Kingdom" by Marie McGaha © 2018 
Available from Dancing With Bear Publishing Fall 2018

Read Proverbs 21-31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!