He Reigns!

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Yapping Dogs

"The voice of the Lord is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the Lord, over many waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful; the
4
voice of the Lord is full of majesty."
~Psalm 29:3-4

I live with dogs; a Mastiff, a Schnauweenie-huahua, and a dachshund. The latter two are what I call "yip-yap" dogs. Every noise, real or imagined, sets these two off and to me, their shrill yapping is like jamming an icepick in my ears. Actually, an icepick would be preferable. Yelling at them does nothing to quell the yapping, so I have taken to throwing things. An empty gum container or a balled up sock usually does the trick. I've tried bark collars and other recommended methods, but nothing works. I even looked into having them debarked but the cost is out of reach. Actually, I compared the cost to how many pairs of shoes I could buy, and couldn't justify the cost!
So, I continue to throw socks in the general direction of the loudest yapping.

Life is like that - constant noise coming from every direction; television, radio, phones, social media, and people all around us spouting opinions. The world is full of noise, and most of it is useless yapping. I got rid of cable/sattelite TV years ago, and now have a' la carte TV. I can watch what I want without the noise of commercials and the filth that is now considered must watch TV. Other than noisy dogs, my house is quiet, which allows me to really listen and hear God's voice.

"And he said, “Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper (1 Kings 19:11-12)."

When we have too much going on, or too much noise in our life, no matter where it comes from, it's difficult to hear the sound of a low whisper. God doesn't shout to get our attention. God doesn't yell above the din to tell us something. He waits for us to be quiet before Him. He waits for us to focus our hearts on Him.

“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth (Psalm 46:10)!”

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord, more than watchmen for the morning (Psalm 130:5-6)."

Being still and waiting for the Lord is part of our Christian process and growth. Waiting patiently and being still are marks of maturity. Children can't sit still for very long, they are impatient, and they can be noisy too. But as we grow and mature, we're expected to be patient, still and quiet. The same is required with God. We might love to worship loudly and pray fervently, but there comes the moment when we must be still and wait for His voice to speak into our hearts so that we may discern His will.

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect (Romans 12:1-2)."

Read 2 Samuel 15-17

©2018 Marie McGaha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!