He Reigns!

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

What Sort of Man Is This?


“And when He got into the boat, His disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but He was asleep. And they went and woke Him, saying, ‘Save us, Lord; we are perishing.’ And He said to them, ‘Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?’ Then He rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. And the men marveled, saying, “What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey Him?’”
~Matthew 8:23-27

Have you ever been in a situation where you were so scared that your blood felt cold and you couldn’t take a breath? It’s like your body shuts down and doesn’t know what to do. Our reactions to any given stressful situation is called fight or flight, but I don’t know what it’s called when you’re too scared to run or fight. Being frozen with fear is a horrifying experience. Everything is out of control and you just stand there like an idiot unable to move, speak or even think. I’ve been in situations where I’ve had to fight, and I’ve been in situations where running was the only option, and I’ve been in situations where neither was an option because there was nowhere to run and nothing to fight. The disciples were in that situation. They were in a boat on the sea when a huge storm roared to life, tossing them about and threatening to sink them. They had nowhere to run and there was nothing to fight. I imagine their fear was at a 10. Hearts pounding, breathing fast, palms sweating, knees shaking, no way out. Yet, there was Jesus, fast asleep with no worries. I imagine me in that situation and I have to laugh. I’d be plenty scared but somewhere in the back of my mind, I’d be thinking ‘seriously, you’re sleeping now?’ My husband is like that. The man is made of steel and he can sleep anywhere at any time no matter what’s going on. On the other hand, I’m a light sleeper and if something’s bothering me, I’m a no sleeper. He irritates me. On the other hand, he is the perfect man to have around during a crisis.

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you (1 Peter 5:6-7).

Sometimes we forget who is ultimately in control. It’s not me, it’s not my husband – it’s God. Just like the disciples, who, even though they knew Jesus was the Son of God, were afraid of the winds and waves, we often forget who is in control in the face of crises. And when the seas were calmed, the disciples were amazed that Jesus simply spoke to the winds and they ceased. Everything became calm in the presence of Jesus. Our lives are like that too. When things get out of control, we start to panic and seem to forget that Jesus has the situation well in hand. Our lives in Christ are safe, no matter what’s going on around us. Like a hurricane, life can spin out of control, but in the center of the hurricane, it’s calm, and so our lives are with Jesus at the center.

“The Lord sits enthroned over the flood; the Lord sits enthroned as King forever. May the Lord give strength to His people! May the Lord bless His people with peace! (Psalm 29:10-11).”

Read Isaiah 37-42

©2018 Marie McGaha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!