He Reigns!

Monday, January 8, 2018

Sarah Laughed

'So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, “After I am worn out, and my lord is old, shall I have pleasure?”'
~Genesis 18:12

I'm not nearly as old as Sarah was when she learned she would become a mother, but if someone told me that today, I'd laugh so hard and loud I'd probably choke! I don't believe Sarah's laughter was unbelief but rather shock and a very human reaction. She knew she was long past childbearing age and I'm sure the news sounded absurd. But haven't we all laughed when we heard unbelievable news?

I've heard people say, "If you'd told me a year ago (or five or ten), I'd be doing this today, I'd have laughed." In fact, I've said it myself. I can look back over the years and see events in my life that if someone had told me were going to happen, I would've laughed and thought they were crazy. Life is full of surprises!

God is full of surprises too. We may not receive news through burning bushes, or have angels visit making announcements but God still speaks to us through His Holy Spirit, through His Word, and through other people. We are never too old to be surprised by God, and we are never too old for Him to birth something brand new in us in an unexpected way. 

"The righteous flourish like the palm tree
    and grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
13 They are planted in the house of the Lord;
    they flourish in the courts of our God.
14 They still bear fruit in old age;
    they are ever full of sap and green (Psalm 92:12-14)."

God couldn't care less about our age, infirmities, gray hair or wrinkles, all He sees is our willingness to obey His Word and calling in our lives. Whether we are 9 or 90, we are all the same in His eyes. Our righteousness lies in our faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 1:17) and not in our own abilities. We are who God says we are through our faith, and not of our own wisdom or capabilities. 

Hebrews 11 says, "By faith..." seventeen times as it describes the saints from the Old Testament who did what was humanly impossible simple because God told them to. Because God is faithful, they too the steps of faith to obey and accomplish that which they were left to do.

You too can be all that God wants you to be, no matter what your situation is. God uses us for His glory right where we are, whether rich it poor, homeless or an executive, in prison it in school, young or old. He is just looking for the willing and obedient.

"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might (Ephesians 6:10)."

Read
Genesis 25:1-4
1 Chronicles 1:32-34

A Year of Blessings by Marie McGaha
©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!